[dojo-contributors] fast widget creation (TreeV3)

Jesse Kuhnert jkuhnert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:12:50 EDT 2006

This starts to make more sense after a little poking around. In ~theory~ the
css/style calculations would be nice have cached always on each read as you
do your stuff, but I have a feeling that when you are adding nodes/updating
content/etc all at the same time and reading css/style values it will start
to get very burdensome on the browser to recalculate them.

No time for me now but it would be interesting to see what would happen if
any of the core-ish widgets that deal with layout the most (ie contentpane?
) tried to get the style values once and then do things based on those
initial calculations. (not sure if they are read multiple times.)

Most of these things seem to cause a lot of checks and such to be run for
each read depending on whether you manipulate the dom in between reads..(do
a search for EnsureSizeUpToDate ) .
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/dom/src/base/nsGlobalWindow.cpp