[dojo-contributors] 2D Graphics Recap

Gavin Doughtie gavin at dfmm.org
Fri Jun 9 20:43:38 EDT 2006

I think there's several things being discussed and thought we might do a
little refactoring so I don't stump for the wrong functionality at the
wrong time:

1) Graphics for declarative widget authoring. This is Tom's proposal to
declare widget graphics in dojo-decorated SVG and have an XSLT-driven
translation layer that will create equivalent VML+JS in IE.

2) Retained-mode Javascript objects, suitable for procedurally
generating complicated charts or for use in a drawing editor.

3) An immediate-mode API

These systems would cross over at various points:

a) The immediate-mode API would produce retained-mode Javascript objects.
b) The Javascript objects could be instantiated/retrieved via a "get"
API on widgets declared in markup
(probably some I'm forgetting)

The applications we're thinking of fall into layers (lightest-weight to
heaviest):

1) Widgets/UI
2) Charting Library
3) Drawing Editor

That roughly correspond to the application areas Tom, Eugene and I are
personally interested in. (Please forgive me if I've misread what you're
trying to make sure the API can accomplish).

I'm all jet-lagged and fuzzy at the moment, but I'll be on #dojo and IM
most of the day tomorrow and possibly even later on tonight. I hope that
we, and anybody following quietly, can solidify the layers of this
system we want to build.

Gavin