[dojo-contributors] ReST Documentation

Neil Roberts neil at onebahamas.com
Wed Jun 7 22:55:12 EDT 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:30 PM, Dustin Machi wrote:

> inline
> Neil Roberts wrote:
>>> 1.  the "Dojo Manual" is intended to be reference documentation.
>>> It currently hosts old ReST api information that is out of date.
>>> This needs to be purged from there and updated to reflect current
>>> api.  Neil will have to comment on the best way to go about that
>>> in relation to the documentation tools he is preparing.
>> API information should be pretty easy to copy from one point to
>> another. I'll be doing a lot of this by hand, but needless to say,
>> this won't be ridiculous to do.
>
> Perhaps we should just be hosting your documentation tools here?
> Or could you perhaps clarifiy how they will be different.  IIRC,
> we'll have our dojo doc widgets that parse json files to display
> api information, and then there is also wiki contributed
> information that is linked in with the tools.  While I know that we
> have been making it so that the dojo doc tools will work from
> localhost, we also need to host them live somewhere....is this what
> will go at manual.dojotoolkit.org? Or is this only the wiki portion
> of that information?

JSON objects can be loaded from anywhere, really. And since I can
pipe the wiki stream through any server, that can be loaded from
anywhere as well. The wiki information IS stored at
manual.dojotoolkit.org, but I was planning on making it more like a
static version of the doc tool than anything else. Apparently though,
everything I've been planning doesn't really matter right now, so
I'll default to Alex on this.

>>> 2.  the "Dojo Book" is more "how-to" than reference information.
>>> Many of the articles that were on the previous website belong in
>>> here and should be relocated to Dojo Book (like those about
>>> events and bind). After they are relocated, all the information
>>> stored in ReST format in the svn repo should be purged from the
>>> repo to avoid duplication and sync issues.
>> Agreed. If anyone would like to help with Dojo Book, please let me
>> know. I finished this jot program a long time ago, but no one has
>> ever stuck with creating content.
>
> Should we just copy/paste those old docs in there?

Sure, if someone wants to