[dojo-contributors] Re: Draft: Unified 2D graphics subsystem for Dojo

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Wed Jun 7 01:34:51 EDT 2006

Tom Trenka wrote:

> I'm thinking  (and hoping) that parts of this translation will be
> Dojo-specific, in that attach points will be preserved.  If I do it

What are attach points? Are they logical entities (e.g., nodes), which
are preserved during transformation?

> I think that we should pursue both paths as well; there's nothing wrong
> with having both a procedural and a declarative API, as long as they
> cooperate.  Of course, my end goal is that vector definitions are done
> in SVG only, and Dojo handles the cross platform issues.

Agreed.

> Just so we're clear, I'm proposing 2 things:
> 1. the SVG to VML translation
> 2. the drawing API

Agreed again.

> Animation for SVG (as implemented in FF) is poor right now--if you're
> thinking that it will support SMIL-type structures.  However, animation
> techniques that are used in Dojo for HTML work just fine right now as it
> is, so I'd advocate not really worrying about that use case as of yet.

:-)

> Text manipulation...that's another story.  My instinct is to say we use
> mixed documents for that always (i.e. embed an HTML element inside an
> SVG one for text handling, etc)...I'll have better info soon enough as
> to what's possible in terms of transformations in VML.

While various text effects can be useful, the plain jane unrotated text
works the best in most cases. I think it would nice to include some HTML
text positioning facilities so the labels can be placed properly using
current transformation --- it may be hard to calculate the exact
placement without a cooperation with dojo.gfx (or whatever it will be
called).

Thanks,

Eugene