[dojo-contributors] Re: Draft: Unified 2D graphics subsystem for Dojo

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Jun 6 00:41:54 EDT 2006

Tom Trenka wrote:
> at the Dojo Dev Day [ we agreed ] we're going to
> take a different approach with respect to VML handling, by creating an
> XSL stylesheet that will attempt to translate SVG to VML...

It's an interesting approach.  It allows the server sends over a bunch
of raw SVG to the client, regardless of browser type.  Of course you
could alternately run the stylesheet on the server.

Are you thinking of the server sending raw SVG to the client, or are you
just thinking of the client creating an SVG document by DOM calls
(document.createElement(), etc.)?

Eugene Lazutkin wrote:
> I agree with you 100%. This is one of several known deficiencies in Canvas. At this moment Canvas is the most restrictive environment => it's the GCD => I emulated it in my proposal.

I keep thinking that we shouldn't support canvas at all.  I'm sure it's
good for performance but it's hard to imagine one API that is well
suited to both SVG/VML and canvas.   I know that the currently released
safari doesn't have SVG support but the nightlies do, apparently... not
good enough?

Bill