[dojo-contributors] Re: Draft: Unified 2D graphics subsystem for Dojo

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Mon Jun 5 21:01:36 EDT 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> The only thing I can think of is that Canvas forces you do do
> scale/translate/rotate separately where in OpenGL you can just use a
> matrix to do all three in one fell swoop. Because of this, affine
> transforms seem especially painful to do in Canvas.

I agree with you 100%. This is one of several known deficiencies in
Canvas. At this moment Canvas is the most restrictive environment =>
it's the GCD => I emulated it in my proposal.

Explicit matrix gives you a lot of useful things like "preferred views"
defined by transformation matrix, "absolute scales", when you can define
things in inches or centimeters, and so on. IMHO, bundling
transformation with stroke and fill in one state was a mistake.

Oh, well, I can continue, but what the use...

Thanks,

Eugene