[dojo-contributors] Bootstrap refactoring landed on trunk

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Sat Apr 29 23:43:27 EDT 2006

Adam,

I moved some things from bootstrap1.js into boostrap2.js, to
consolidate all package loading into one one file. I believe something
I moved into bootstrap2.js seemed like it required that it come before
hostenv_*.js, so I moved it ahead. In particular, these are referenced
in hostenv_browser.js, and these are now in bootstrap2.js:

- dojo.hostenv.startPackage()
- dojo.hostenv.modulesLoaded()
- dojo.hostenv.modulesLoadedListeners

Looking at how those are used now, we might be able to remove those
dependencies from hostenv_browser.js. However, I have not looked
extensively at the other hostenv_*.js so perhaps we couldn't do the
same with them.

I'm open to suggestions though. Also, it would be good to sort out how
you view string resource loading. Is it like package loading? Will you
be using dojo.require/provide syntax for it? Or is it more like a a
wrapper over dojo.io.bind()?

Why does locale setting need to occur in hostenv_*.js? Is there some
sort of pluggable architecture for letting applications (instead of
environment) set the locale rules? I know some apps that use just the
domain of the URL for the locale setting, some use http headers, or a
mix of both.

Sorry for all the questions. I know you are still working on it, but
I'm intrigued now :). You don't have to answer them now. If there is
anything I can fix or clean up in the changes I did, I'm happy to do
it.

James