[dojo-contributors] defineClass

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 01:24:09 EDT 2006

I don't really mean to continually butt heads here, but I'm still failing to
see the point/need for this?  It seems like it's an alternate way of
creating objects in Javascript, except instead of doing it the way the
language was designed there's basically a number of additional properties
that are added for the sole purpose of being able to get at the immediate
parent...

I don't have a problem with having a function that can take an
initialization function and use that in conjunction with a constructor; that
seems like a pretty good mechanism for deserialization from custom
serialization formats in the very least.  But this looks an awful lot to me
like it's trying to force JS to do something that's more common in other
languages.

Can you give us a use case or two where there would be a definite advantage
to using this over more traditional methods?

trt