[dojo-contributors] Re: SVG/VML/Canvas API discussion

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:21:56 EDT 2006

Here's the thing--I'm still not (personally) convinced there needs to be a
compatibility layer.  I'd rather take Dylan's approach here, and start
thinking of this in terms of what we'd want for an end result.  Dojo isn't a
language (despite the fact that it uses markup to create widgets); it's a
library that abstracts away the nitty-gritty of other languages (i.e. JS,
HTML, CSS, SVG, VML, etc.) so that all it takes to, say, include a map or
create a chart is a single HTML element with a few extra attributes.  It's
the responsibility of someone who want to author widgets et al to use
whatever means necessary to acheive that goal.

(bear in mind I'm also lacking in sleep right now, thoughts are a bit
jumbled)

The only reason I can see creating a compatibility layer is if Dojo is going
to provide a "meta-SVG" type language for others to author with.  Is that
something we want to do?

As far as Bill's example of interactive charts go, probably we'd want to
build it into the Chart widget itself, or create several variations with the
most common behaviors?

My apologies (again) for throwing out the term "API" before I should have;
I'm at the exact same place as Dylan is with this.

What do we really need?

trt

(Jon--VML and SVG are similar but different enough to make creating a common
denominator very limited.  It would probably be easier to implement VML
using SVG than to implement SVG Tiny with VML, and more consistent as well.
In some ways, VML can be considered a predecessor of SVG...I tend to think
of VML as "Visio markup" while SVG is more the XMLified version of
PostScript, if that helps at all)