[dojo-contributors] SVG/VML/Canvas API discussion

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Apr 18 20:23:48 EDT 2006

> I think probably we should discuss the needs before the API
>(which is my fault, since I threw out API at first).
> Any other thoughts on needs and goals?

Well, something like the chart widget might be satisfied with a
canvas-like api (like drawRectangle(0,0,50,50,blue); ), but if you get
into stuff like interactive charts (click on a bar and something
happens), then you would want something more like the dom api, where you
can create a node (such as a circle or rectangle) and then set
properties on it, such as the onclick handler.  You might also want to
delete previously created nodes, or change properties (such as the size)
of an existing node.

Bill