[dojo-contributors] SVG/VML/Canvas API discussion

Jon Sykes jon.sykes at media-hive.com
Tue Apr 18 16:01:19 EDT 2006

I'd need to do much more reading before I could make an educated
comment, so consider this an SVG layman's view point.

SVG as in the example below is the vector equivalent to HTML and CSS.

So we can probably use CSS and HTML as an analogy...

It's core functions work just fine, but there may be some aspects of
the static rendering that need to be tweaked (fixed) so they work
across all the supported browsers.

The real API should be the interaction of this with JS and JS and the
server.

So animation of SVG, manipulation of SVG, Ajax style updates of SVG.

Then there is probably a need for making complex static things easier
to do in SVG.  So the taking of data and showing it in theme'able
widget bar charts and pie charts.

That would be my thoughts on what an SVG API should do.  It should do
for SVG, what Dojo does for DHTML.  DSVG, if you like.

Jon Sykes