[dojo-contributors] Re: SVG/VML/Canvas API discussion

Eugene Lazutkin eugene at lazutkin.com
Tue Apr 18 13:18:33 EDT 2006

Bill Keese wrote:
> Well, let's decide what API we want first, and then think about what
> implementations (canvas/svg/vml) we support.  Extending your example,
> can I do this?
>
> var line = dojo.draw.line(...);
> line.setOnClick( function(){ alert("hi!"); });
>
> (and then later on, line.destroy();)

I understand your point but majority of graphic applications produce,
well, graphics. It would be nice to support CorelDraw-style interactive
editing, which is demonstrated in your example, but producing a static
picture of proper pie chart would be valuable too.

I think we need to support the canvas in order to be practical. Probably
we should separate pure picture drawing, and interactive features
somehow. In this case SVG/VML would support both, while Canvas supports
the former only.

Thanks,

Eugene