[dojo-contributors] Google SoC 2006: should we participate?

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Sat Apr 15 12:39:52 EDT 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 5:47 pm, Dean Edwards wrote:
> Alex Russell wrote:
> > Google has opened up their Summer of Code thinger again, and after
> > having read the recent writeup of how last year's Mozilla projects
> > fared after the SoC ended, I'm both hesitant and interested in
> > participating.
>
> What are trying to achieve by participating?

Oh, that ;-)

I'd suggest that we might perhaps to treat it like a good internship
program. As such, I'd suggest the goals might be:

1.) introduce people who might be good programmers to a new, rewarding
environment
2.) give smart people a chance to work on things that are high-value (in
the long-term sense) but my not be currently blocking anyone's daily
work today. Things like SVG/VML normalization, widget accessaiblity,
i18n, etc.
3.) hopefully get smart people interested in continuing to be involved
with the project after their SoC experience is done

Does that sound about right to everyone else?

Regards

--
Alex Russell
alex at jot.com