Fwd: [dojo-contributors] [feedback wanted] Preferred Iteration forms

James Burke jburke at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Apr 12 14:39:40 EDT 2006

On 4/12/06, Tom Trenka <ttrenka at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> var it=col.getIterator();
>
> while(!it.atEnd()){
>     var item=it.current();
>     // do stuff
>  }
>
> The idea here is that current() not only returns the current item, but also
> advances the internal cursor to the next item in the collection.  atEnd()
> should be obvious. I will also provide an "item" property, which will be the
> current item in the collection. Hopefully this is the best comprimise I can
> think of.  It should also be able to support a for form...
>
> for(it.current();!it.atEnd(); it.current()){
>    // do stuff.
> }

if current() does a next operation underneath, I would then prefer
calling the method next(). To me current implies I can call it many
times and get the same value (no cursor movement). But that may be my
java experience coloring my perception. Please disregard if this falls
into the holy war section.

James