[dojo-contributors] Prototype-al simplicity

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:40:17 EDT 2006

Just as an outside observer, I'd like to point out that the title of
this post includes the word "simplicity", not "size".

I don't think dojo'ers time is best spent trying to figure out clever
ways to shave bytes. I do think the goal of making dojo simpler to use
is a fine one. But that is orthogonal to download size.

These types of problems are best left to a compiler anyway. Write in a
style that makes sense, then let the compiler shorten all of:

dojo.monkey.Foo.prototype.blah = function() { ... }

var f25 = dojo.monkey.Foo.prototype;
f25.blah = function() { ... }

There are tons of other optimizations like this that only a compiler
can really do.

- a