[dojo-contributors] Prototype-al simplicity

Brian Douglas Skinner skinner at dojotoolkit.org
Mon Apr 10 18:32:10 EDT 2006

>>So one interesting result is that we can drop the dojo.graphics.color
>>dep entirely if we don't provide dojo.style.getBackgroundColor. Nothing
>>other than the effects namespace uses it in our code anyway.
>>
>>Should it be (re)moved?
>
> One thing we really need to keep in mind is that Dojo's use of an
> internal API should not be the only measure of whether or not something
> should be part of Dojo.  If it is a useful utility for people developing
> Dojo apps, then it is needed somewhere, perhaps just not with the Dojo
> core distributions.

+1 for "Dojo's use of an internal API should not be the only measure of
whether or not something should be part of Dojo."

For example, I doubt the Dojo MD5 implementation is used by other parts
of the Dojo toolkit itself, but we call the Dojo MD5 functions from the
code we're building on top of the Dojo Toolkit.  I'd be disappointed to
see the MD5 stuff ever get trimmed in the interest of slimming down Dojo.

Would it be useful to collect a list of apps which are built on top of
Dojo and which are available via anonymous SVN?  That way someone could
run a search tool across a variety of code bases and get a broader
perspective about how much different parts of the Dojo API are being used?

:o) Brian