[dojo-contributors] Re: Bootstrap Bloat documentation

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Sun Apr 9 19:20:58 EDT 2006

On Saturday 08 April 2006 11:32 pm, James Burke wrote:
> On 4/8/06, Bill Keese <bill at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:
> > I assume that (for example) if you remove dj_debug than you will
> > change the existing SVN code to call dojo.debug?
>
> Correct -- for things like removing function aliases or function
> renaming, any existing code in the dojo source tree would be changed
> to use the new method name. We could put in a compatibility shim for
> folks that use dojo, but used the old names. This shim would be a
> separate js file that they would have to manually include after the
> dojo.js script src include (or use a djConfig param if the separate
> script src include wouldn't work).

You know, a module like "dojo.backcompat" or something seems to make
more and more sense to me. It would allow us to keep our "we provide
back-compat stubs" policy, provide a single place to provide method
forward and deprecation, and provide a single location to cull
deperecation and back-compat stubs from in the future. I can imagine it
including a lot of code that looks like:

if(dojo.evalObjPath("dojo.whatever.foo")){
	dojo.whatever.foo.bar = function(){
		dojo.deprecated(...);
		// ...
	}
}

The only downside is that it would then of course need to be require()'d
last and I'm not sure how to garuntee that today.

Regards