[dojo-contributors] Prototype-al simplicity

Scott J. Miles sjmiles at turbophp.com
Sat Apr 8 02:12:48 EDT 2006

>> Hey Scott, sorry, while I took your quote out of context in my reply I
wasn't really replying at you.  I came back to what seemed like 10 posts
which skirted around the issue and questioned our coding style ...

Ok, thanks for the follow up. No worries.

>> I guess style may be a contributing factor but I rate maintainable,
beautiful code incredibly highly and so I feel this is not a path that
offers the most promise.

I completely agree with you, and intended only to amplify that idea. It's my
experience that smaller, more highly factored functions are also part of the
path to elegant code. That's why I had a possibly cranky reaction to the
notion that having a lot of small functions is necessarily bad (as opposed
to large compound functions).

>> I think what I'll do now is draft up a proposal so we have a solid
direction, I think this is better than hypothesising further.

Agreed, thanks for doing that. As before I'm completely on board with the
goals as you present them.

>> the weighty parts should be optional additions

Yes! The excellent dynamic load system in Dojo means we can have our cake
and eat it too.

Regards,
Scott J. Miles
TurboAjax Group