[dojo-contributors] Prototype-al simplicity

Scott J. Miles sjmiles at turbophp.com
Fri Apr 7 20:41:51 EDT 2006

Discussions on IM and email are always like this I'm afraid. One guy reads
the next guy's comments as rebuttal and never as subtlety. I'm sure I make
the same mistake.

>> I find it a little concerning at the general unwillingness to cut
functions.

Who is unwilling? I have exactly the same goal as you. I've been complaining
about code bloat for a really long time.

>> OK, so I don't think making our code unreadable is the correct answer.  I
also don't believe that our coding style is causing us to be 4 times the
size of Prototype.

Neither do I. Exactly why I have instead relied on refactoring to reduce
code size, which in turn tends to create additional functions. I'm sorry
this was not clear from my original post: but number of functions is a bad
metric.

>> Bottom line, functions need to be dropped or moved.

Perhaps, but moving five four-line functions is less effective then just one
thirty-line function. It seems like this basic point was lost from what I
was trying to communicate.

Regards,
Scott J. Miles
TurboAjax Group