[dojo-contributors] dojo.lang.inherits

Scott J. Miles sjmiles at turbophp.com
Thu Apr 6 17:31:08 EDT 2006

First off, to rebut my comment with 'delegation is inheritance' is just kind
of funny. =P

My training is such that delegation refers to locating a method call
implementation at run-time on an object. The system of locating a particular
method through a prototype chain may be called delegation, but the process
of construcing a new object type by creating a new link in a prototype
chain, adding or overriding properties, and managing initialization is
something greater.

If you wanted to rename dojo.event.connect to dojo.event.delegate, I would
say that is clearly correct. IMO, dojo.lang.inherits is JavaScript-style
inheritence.

If you want to call it cloneAndExtend or something, I can't argue, but it
seems like pedantry.

Regards,
Scott J. Miles
TurboAjax Group