[dojo-contributors] dojo.lang.inherits

Jesse Kuhnert jkuhnert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 16:14:45 EDT 2006

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Until I read the referenced wiki
article I don't think until today that I really had a clear understanding of
what was going on.

I don't like it when an API condescends to me. It doesn't seem like a
productive thing to do for anybody. It's true that initially seeing these
words will feel comfortable and appealing for people (like me), but I'd much
much rather see a word like "delegate" and ask myself wtf does "delegate"
mean? In all fairness though, it does seem like the JS community at large is
being somewhat miserly about sharing their knowledge and design patterns.

Maybe the price of innovation is that you will also have to teach others how
you are innovating. Even though the phrase design pattern probably conjures
up images of bumbling java developers it still applies to some of the things
you guys are doing. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea at all to spend maybe
an hour or two writing two really quick articles explaining some of the
things you guys are doing...Like what mixins are and how delegation works.
If you do that then there should be less of a barrier to using the right
words to describe your API. (if such articles were written they would
probably do more good being permanently linked on the wiki or website
somewhere)

my last 2 cents...

On 4/6/06, Sandro Magi <smagi at naasking.homeip.net> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delegation_%28programming%29
>
> "Delegation is a fundamental technique used in languages of
> prototype-based programming (such as JavaScript)"
>

> Bill Keese wrote:
> > What does delegate mean?  I'm thinking delegate means something similar
> > to "inherit", which isn't appropriate in this case because it's not just
> > inheritance, it's the whole class definition (the combination of
> > constructor, dojo.inherits, and dojo.extends)
> >
> > Sandro Magi wrote:
> >> +1 to delegate.
> >>
> >> It's closer to the proper concept.
> >>
> >> Sandro