[dojo-contributors] "core dojo", packaging, and the build system

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Apr 5 21:09:08 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 5:19 pm, Sandro Magi wrote:
> Alex Russell wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 April 2006 4:34 pm, Sandro Magi wrote:
> >> Such a setup is still just as vulnerable. I would rather have the
> >> control in the dojo array anyway, because I could then specify my
> >> own server farm.
> >
> > I think that would always be an option. But the problem we're
> > trying to solve is one where people today have to carry around a
> > "src/" dir and an unspecified other number of things in order to
> > actually get Dojo working for them.
>
> Should I take this to mean you don't expect people to use this
> technique in a deployed system?

No, just that a system of "trusted" distribution sites is not uncommon
in the software world (take, for instance, CPAN). Folks who have
security considerations can do something different if need be, but
trying to build out a web of trust in a browser environment is
more-or-less untennable w/o coarse-grained trust relationships.

Hashing in the browser is also tremendously slow. We don't have many
good options right now, so we work with what we've got. This is the
life of a web developer.

Regards

--
Alex Russell