[dojo-contributors] Prototype-al simplicity

Bill Keese bill at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Apr 5 21:15:32 EDT 2006

Paul Sowden wrote:
> First off what we want to achieve, so that we are all talking about the same thing:
>   1.  The same simplicity of download, include and use that Prototype users enjoy.  This includes having just one file, no mess, no confusion, no editions.
>   2.  Smaller file sizes for a small number of simple rollups.
>   3.  Full dependancy system for custom builds.
>   4.  Support for (James') online loader as an alternative dependancy system.

I'm hesitant to start on any new projects when 0.3 is already months
behind schedule.  Having said that...

> Which modules would go into dojo-lite, the prototype killer?  Tom
> started out with bootstraps, event and io.  And which modules make up
> the other rollups (e.g. Animation, Widget, ...)

I would make "dojo-lite" (a.k.a core) bigger.  Maybe this:

bootstraps
dojo.lang
dojo.event
dojo.io  (not sure about the multiple IO packages; seems like one should
be sufficient)
dojo.json
dojo.dom
dojo.html
dojo.style

I imagine that's similar to what's in prototype but can someone else
comment?

BTW, Yahoo (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/index.html) has these categories:

CORE
animation
io
dom (presumably including dojo.style, dojo.dom, and dojo.html)
DnD
event

WIDGETS
(various widgets)