[dojo-contributors] "core dojo", packaging, and the build system

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Wed Apr 5 00:51:14 EDT 2006

Before 0.2.2, we quietly slipped a feature into the build system to let
us exclude some set of APIs from a build, even though they may show up
as requirements.

In concrete terms, it will let us do something like:

	releaseDir/
		dojo.js
		fx.js
		widget.js
		src/...

Where users could include things in their pages like:

	<script type="text/javascript" src="dojo.js"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript" src="fx.js"></script>
	<script type="text/javascript" src="widget.js"></script>

should they want to manually include these modules or do it across
domains.

We now have to figure out:

	1.) do we want to make builds that include things structured like this?
	2.) if so, what would the broad "rollup" files be, and what would they
include?
	3.) how would we communicate to users how to use these build files in
conjunction with the package system? or would it be a "non-package
system" build?

Regards

--
Alex Russell