Fwd: [dojo-contributors] [feedback wanted] Preferred Iteration forms

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Apr 4 21:44:05 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 7:03 am, Tom Trenka wrote:
> > But since there are a number of people that seem to want the
> > functional iteration, don't be too surprised if someone adds that
> > into the collections code (at some point in the future).
>
> As administrative "owner" of that code, I *might* consider pulling
> any addition like that out.  If it saved even 4 to 5 lines of code on
> the part of the owner, that'd be one story.  But to add something
> like that (either duplicating or including the dependency) is a bit
> ridiculous when you can do it, on your own, in one to two lines of
> code yourself.
>
> You might think everyone wants the functional iterator, but I'd
> submit to you the majority of the people who would use the
> Collections code over working with an array directly will prefer the
> imperative, because that's what they know--which translates directly
> to shorter dev time.

Bogus. If that was a workable argument our code would all look like C#
or Java. I, for one, thank my chosen diety that it doesn't.

> Yes, its a cool feature.  But it's just as easy for you to do it in
> your app as it is for me to create the dependency.

Didn't we go through this? Just add an iteratorInstance.forEach() method
w/ the same signature as the dojo.lang.forEach() (sans iterated
object). I'm seriously cofounded why we're still having this
discussion.

It's not that much code and it keeps us out of non-dynamic language
hell. Add it, please, so that we can be done with this discussion.

Regards

--
Alex Russell
alex at jot.com