Fwd: [dojo-contributors] [feedback wanted] Preferred Iteration forms

Tom Trenka ttrenka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 10:03:35 EDT 2006

> But since there are a number of people that seem to want the functional
> iteration, don't be too surprised if someone adds that into the
> collections code (at some point in the future).

As administrative "owner" of that code, I *might* consider pulling any
addition like that out.  If it saved even 4 to 5 lines of code on the part
of the owner, that'd be one story.  But to add something like that (either
duplicating or including the dependency) is a bit ridiculous when you can do
it, on your own, in one to two lines of code yourself.

You might think everyone wants the functional iterator, but I'd submit to
you the majority of the people who would use the Collections code over
working with an array directly will prefer the imperative, because that's
what they know--which translates directly to shorter dev time.

Yes, its a cool feature.  But it's just as easy for you to do it in your app
as it is for me to create the dependency.  It has no place in this
particular library.  If I thought it did, I would have included it when I
wrote it the first time around.

trt

(for the record, I also feel that JS shortcuts are a waste of time that in
general obfuscate code more than they help.  dojo.byId is probably the one
exception and even that I'm not keen on.)