[ng-dhtml] [Dojo-interest] Dojo Update

Sebastian Werner info at sebastian-werner.net
Wed Sep 7 05:28:03 CDT 2005

Aaron Boodman schrieb:
> On 9/6/05, Paul Sowden <paul at idontsmoke.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I'm less interested in seeing a "widget toolkit" than I am in seeing
>>a killer set of library functions that can be drawn upon to build
>>custom behaviour. While some folks may want a stock widget set that
>>provides buttons and other form widgetry, tabsets etc I'm personally
>>more interested in being able to quickly build slick widgets "made
>>for Web pages", akin to Dave's (Jot) invite users widget for example.
>

> I agree completely. I've said a few times that I don't see large
> commercial websites using "stock" widgets no matter how customizable
> they are. There are a very few I can see (date picker, rte,
> popup-autocomplete), but beyond that -- all the typical things that
> people think of -- trees, grids, tabs, etc just don't look right in
> most web apps. For better or worse, people are used to the
> document-centric nature of the web and the UI that comes with that.
> You need to work within that now.

I agree completely, too. But there are more lowerlevel things that need
to be done over and over. Mostly I would not say that these are real
widgets. I mean for example layout managers. Something like horizontal
boxes, flow layouts, dock layouts, grid layouts, ... And you need
something to allow cross-browser layout features. Interesting could be
something like a crossbrowser min-max support (like emulated by dean
edwards IE7).

If you have all these features stable in a nice API it is not difficult
to create your own widgets depending on you current project requirements.

Regards,

Sebastian