[ng-dhtml] [Dojo-interest] Dojo Update

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 16:37:55 CDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Paul Sowden <paul at idontsmoke.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm less interested in seeing a "widget toolkit" than I am in seeing
> a killer set of library functions that can be drawn upon to build
> custom behaviour. While some folks may want a stock widget set that
> provides buttons and other form widgetry, tabsets etc I'm personally
> more interested in being able to quickly build slick widgets "made
> for Web pages", akin to Dave's (Jot) invite users widget for example.

I agree completely. I've said a few times that I don't see large
commercial websites using "stock" widgets no matter how customizable
they are. There are a very few I can see (date picker, rte,
popup-autocomplete), but beyond that -- all the typical things that
people think of -- trees, grids, tabs, etc just don't look right in
most web apps. For better or worse, people are used to the
document-centric nature of the web and the UI that comes with that.
You need to work within that now.

I think it's far more important for dojo to make it really easy for
people to build their own lightweight widgets for their app than to
provide the one tree to rule them all.

My opinion means precisely jack since I've not done any dojo
development, but there it is.

--
Aaron