[ng-dhtml] [Dojo-interest] Dojo Update

Martin Cooper martinc at apache.org
Tue Sep 6 16:36:54 CDT 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Paul Sowden wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2005, at 11:28, Alex Russell wrote:
>
>> So if we're serious about finishing this platform and exposing the new and
>> latent browser features that will let us collectively compete with a XAML,
>> what do we need to produce?
>
> I'm less interested in seeing a "widget toolkit" than I am in seeing a killer
> set of library functions that can be drawn upon to build custom behaviour.
> While some folks may want a stock widget set that provides buttons and other
> form widgetry, tabsets etc I'm personally more interested in being able to
> quickly build slick widgets "made for Web pages", akin to Dave's (Jot) invite
> users widget for example.

IMHO, Dojo needs to either provide a comprehensive widget set or no widget
set. If there is a half-hearted widget set, I think it's very likely that
people will discount all of Dojo simply because it lacks all of the
widgets they need out of the box.

Having no widget set may sound extreme, but it needn't be. If, instead of
including the widgets it does now, it provides all of the functionality
that Paul refers to above, and uses the current widget set as *examples*
of how to build widgets, that may be enough. Then you need to encourage
people like Scott Miles to make their widgets available for others to use,
and have the widget library grow outside of Dojo itself.

Personally, though, I think a standard widget set is really important.
However easy Dojo makes it to build my own widgets - why should I have to?
If I need a grid and a tree, for example, I don't want to have to write
such common widgets myself. I'm not in the business of building widgets,
I'm in the business of building applications. So if I can find another
framework that saves me the time in building widgets, I'll likely go that
route, even if it's only "good enough" and not as technically good as
Dojo.

--
Martin Cooper