[ng-dhtml] Dojo Update

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Tue Sep 6 13:28:26 CDT 2005

Project News:
=============

I didn't get one of these out last week (and I'm a day late this week),
but hopefully it will be shorter than usual. I'm changing the format of
the weekly updates so that they are starting points for discussion and
less about backward-looking status. Where we are going is more
important than where we just were.

The Dojo team just did something huge: we pushed out one of the best UI
platforms for webapps in the world. A huge thank you to Paul and David
for herding the release to completion, Tom and David for the new
website, and to Jot for stepping in with hardware just when we needed
it. We've had amazing support from Renkoo, Jot, TurboPHP, and
CommerceNet. So far, more than two thousand people have downloaded
0.1.0. Our web-server log graphs look like a hockey stick. We are on
the way.

But to where? I would suggest that Dojo has a chance to help ensure that
neither XAML nor Flex get a chance to break the web. Dojo 0.1 is the
first step to a portable future for developers that looks a lot like
the portable and open past. It's funny in a way: Java was supposed to
be the lock-in killer, but JavaScript is taking up the slack and
winning where Java failed.

So if we're serious about finishing this platform and exposing the new
and latent browser features that will let us collectively compete with
a XAML, what do we need to produce?

We've talked about SVG+VML as a possible way forward, but is it worth
doing? and if so, when?

Other data transports have been spec'd (RePubsub, etc.), how important
are these to us?

What should we be incorporating from MochiKit and the other contributed
code bases on the 0.2 and 0.3 timeframes?

And when should 0.2. and 0.3 be released?

We have bugs open for 0.2 for supporting all kinds of development
outside of the Dojo root, how important is this to our success?

What needs to be in 0.2 and beyond that to make Dojo the best way to
build your UIs?

Lets talk about where we're going.

Regards

--
Alex Russell
alex at netWindows.org  F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46