[ng-dhtml] Fwd: contributing the OpenRecord IP to the Dojo Foundation

Martin Cooper martinc at apache.org
Wed Oct 5 23:25:15 CDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Alex Russell wrote:

> The OpenRecord project would like to develop under the auspices of the
> Dojo Foundation, and seem willing to abide by our guidelines regarding
> code ownership and the like.
>
> Should we take them on? Yea or nay?

A few questions come to mind that might be worth some thought up front:

1) If I'm not mistaken (and if I am, it's Google's fault ;), OpenRecord is
primarily an app rather than a toolkit. Certainly there may be some pieces
that would migrate to the Dojo toolkit. However, it's still a fairly
fundamental change to the foundation to move from a singular focus on a
toolkit to including applications built on that toolkit. You need to be
sure that's a path you want to go down.

2) If the foundation is open to applications built on the Dojo toolkit in
addition to the toolkit itself, what criteria are you going to use to
determine whether or not to accept or reject J Random App? I'm assuming
you wouldn't accept _every_ request to donate code. ;-)

3) How will you determine provenance of a donated body of code? This isn't
usually an issue with patches or other small contributions, but with a
large chunk of code, you need to know up front how you want to deal with
that. (The ASF has a formal Software Grant to help with this, although
that doesn't solve the entire problem either.)

4) It seems that the OpenRecord folks want to dual-license their code,
rather than switch the license to the AFL. What criteria will you use to
determine which licenses are acceptable to the Dojo Foundation, which
licenses you will accept dual license with, and which licenses you will
reject?

The above might seem like nit-picking to some, but they are all very real
issues that have come up at the ASF, and each one has generated heated
discussion, at the very least. So I'd strongly recommend that you discuss
at least some of this before making any decisions.

--
Martin Cooper