[ng-dhtml] putting the build tool thing to bed

Martin Cooper mfncooper at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 00:39:13 CDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:23:43 -0700, Alex Russell <alex at dojotoolkit.org> wrote:

> > > Well, there's a difference between different user types:
> > >

> [ snip ]
>
> > Exactly why is it we need a build tool for an interpreted API
> > again?
>
> Because users also want things like:
>
>        * documentation
>        * regression tests (for those pesky multi-billion dollar companies)
>        * speed (the ability to pull down as little as is required to run)
>        * environment-specific customizations
>
> I also cringe at the multi-language, multi-tool hell we're slowly
> winding up in, which is why I'm hacking on Rhino to give us doc
> output and compression without using another language. I would
> really, really like to keep our tools in one language if it can be
> done, and I hesitate to use Java because it gets in the way so much.
> OTOH, it's everywhere and a lot of stuff we need is mostly done in
> Java. Regardless, our functional goals come first: full documentation
> and test coverage, customization for various environments, etc.

You forgot an "IMHO" or "IMNSHO" again. Not everyone agrees that Java
"gets in the way so much". Please try to separate opinion from fact,
Alex. There is a difference. ;-)

If you're going to use Ant, why not embrace it instead of fighting it?
Instead of looking for ways to embed scripts within an Ant build file,
why not just write any Ant tasks you need that don't already exist?
Writing Ant tasks is easy.

> So in conclusion, I do feel your pain. I am working to par down our
> dependencies to at most a single language if it can be done, but we
> have other needs as well. I've often considered a putting togeather a
> "fetch everything I need" shell script for the various platforms you
> might be on, or at the very least make sure they're available out of
> SVN.

You mean like the way the Maven build tool downloads all required
dependencies, based on a project XML file? Oh, but what am I thinking
- that's a Java tool, and Java gets in the way, so we'd better not use

Martin.