[ng-dhtml] svn repo details

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Fri Sep 24 13:44:22 CDT 2004

Now that we're moving to Subversion, it might be helpful for me to
outline a little bit what that means and how you (one of those lucky
people who have requested system accounts) can get your very own SVN
checkout!

Ok, so maybe it isn't all that exciting. Regardless, once you've got
your system account and have changed your initial password, you will
at the very least need an SVN client. Our server is running SVN
1.0.x, so you should grab a client with any 1.x version number.

On Linux/*BSD, your package system will quite likely contain binaries
of the SVN client. You will also need SSH (but you already have that,
since you used it to log in and change your password). If suitable
binaries aren't available from your vendor, have a look at:

	http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

For Windows, Cygwin is probably your most unix-like bet. For those who
aren't quite feeling the command-line lovin, check out TortiseSVN:

	http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/download.html

And now down to the nitty-gritty of getting a checkout:

The Dojo repo is located on disk at /var/src/dojo. SVN uses a
URL-based scheme for locating repos, and so in order to get your
checkout, you have to specify a URL for it. Here's how I get a
checkout:

	%> svn co svn+ssh://alex@dojotoolkit.org/var/src/dojo

If you're using tortise, you'll only need the last (URL) part of that
when making a checkout.

Once you have a checkout, you'll note that for each subsequent
operation that talks to the repo, you will (likely) be prompted for
your password. This is a significant annoyance. Since we are using
SSH as the comm layer for SVN on karmann, you can setup SSH host keys
for your account to get around this issue (but I'll leave discussion
of that for another time).

For all the gorey details about SVN, see the subversion book:

	http://svnbook.red-bean.com

Regards

- --
Alex Russell
alex at dojotoolkit.org
alex at netWindows.org F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46