[ng-dhtml] markup languages

Tom Trenka ng-dhtml at dept-z.com
Tue Sep 21 13:52:51 CDT 2004

Hi all, I'm back.

One addendum to what Mark had to say (so we're clear)...XAML is less a new
markup language and more a markup version of the actual .NET Avalon/Win
forms model.  Essentially it just takes what you'd do within code, and get a
markup version from it. From a technical standpoint, it's essentially a
SOAP-formatted serialization of what you might do with straight-up code.
Because of that, it *can* do almost anything you'd do with code itself; the
concept is that you have a markup language that can be deserialized and
compiled on the fly.

I would say that while the approach is pretty straight-forward, it is not
something that we should try to code against at all.

But, on the other hand, there's something to be said for the approach of
developing a markup model that is simply a serialized version of the object
model behind it.  I *have* done similar things in JS, and it can be a really
powerful approach; the one caveat is that the markup would end up being
proprietary.  Not something that I object to personally, but I can see
problems with it.

As for the others, I haven't looked too close at the Lazlo systems deal; I
have looked at Macromedia's, and found it lacking (in the same way that
their XML model is a bit lacking); and I am in total agreement with Mark
about the cluster-f*ck that is the Moz XUL implementation.

I'm wondering if coming up with a markup language first--then making it
work--is the wrong approach...it may be better to come up with the
underlying object structure first--while keeping an eye on the serialized
version--so that things are essentially seemless, and more importantly,
extensible without rewriting a good deal of code.

Tom