[ng-dhtml] markup languages

Dylan Schiemann mail at dylans.org
Sun Sep 19 12:35:48 CDT 2004

Alex Russell wrote:
| Hey all,
|
| Just wanted to get other people thinking about the markup language
| question again. Firstly, I should explain what the "markup language"
| question is:
|
| Given that widgets in Dojo will need to span multiple rendering
| contexts (HTML, SVG, etc.), and given that many of these contexts
| require a markup language in the first place, it seems natural for
| degradeability, ease-of-authoring, and associated reasons to provide
| a markup language for declaring Dojo components. Currently netWindows
| provides this capability though extensions to HTML syntax, but this
| carries several liabilites:
|
| 	1.) not portable to other rendering markups, or markups which do not
| support extensions.
| 	2.) cannot validate with standard tools
| 	3.) cannot be transformed with standard tools
|
| For all of these reasons, for Dojo I would like to think about
| supporting an XML langauge for declaring components which would then
| be transformed into a syntax similar to NW's inline ctors for
| eventual parsing by the client runtime (whatever it may be).
|
| So instead of re-inventing the wheel, I've been looking at the XML
| declaration languages of some of the competing toolkits:
|
| Lazlo Systems:
|
| 	http://www.lazlosystems.com/lps-2.1.2/docs/lzx-reference/
|
| 	Lazlo always starts with a <canvas/> element, which defines their app
|
| Macromedia FLEX:
|
| 	http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/
|
| 	MXML looks like a very strong contender. Look at the <Model/> tag in
| particular.

A subtle but very useful thing about Model is to note how they abstract
the data model - component interaction.

| MS XAML:
|
| 	http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/port_ref_elements.aspx
|
| 	Too vector-graphics oriented for my tastes, but I haven't looked into
| it as much as I have MXML and Lazlo. Reactions would be appreciated.
|
| Any thoughts you have about any of these markup languages would be
| greatly appreciated.

Some lesser contenders that are worth reviewing despite their
java-centricity:

XFace:
http://www.xesoft.com/products/xmlface/
http://www.xesoft.com/xmlface-docs/elementdoc/index.html

(seems overly complex)

AUIML:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-auiml/?ca=dgr-lnxw07AUIMLtour
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/FAQs/auiml

(not obvious what their xml structure is without installing their toolkit)