[ng-dhtml] markup languages

Alex Russell alex at netWindows.org
Sun Sep 19 00:44:23 CDT 2004

Hey all,

Just wanted to get other people thinking about the markup language
question again. Firstly, I should explain what the "markup language"
question is:

Given that widgets in Dojo will need to span multiple rendering
contexts (HTML, SVG, etc.), and given that many of these contexts
require a markup language in the first place, it seems natural for
degradeability, ease-of-authoring, and associated reasons to provide
a markup language for declaring Dojo components. Currently netWindows
provides this capability though extensions to HTML syntax, but this
carries several liabilites:

	1.) not portable to other rendering markups, or markups which do not
support extensions.
	2.) cannot validate with standard tools
	3.) cannot be transformed with standard tools

For all of these reasons, for Dojo I would like to think about
supporting an XML langauge for declaring components which would then
be transformed into a syntax similar to NW's inline ctors for
eventual parsing by the client runtime (whatever it may be).

So instead of re-inventing the wheel, I've been looking at the XML
declaration languages of some of the competing toolkits:

Lazlo Systems:

	http://www.lazlosystems.com/lps-2.1.2/docs/lzx-reference/

	Lazlo always starts with a <canvas/> element, which defines their app

Macromedia FLEX:

	http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/

	MXML looks like a very strong contender. Look at the <Model/> tag in
particular.

MS XAML:

	http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/port_ref_elements.aspx

	Too vector-graphics oriented for my tastes, but I haven't looked into
it as much as I have MXML and Lazlo. Reactions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts you have about any of these markup languages would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

- --
Alex Russell
alex at burstlib.org   BD10 7AFC 87F6 63F9 1691 83FA 9884 3A15 AFC9 61B7
alex at netWindows.org F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46