[ng-dhtml] Dojo and server-side frameworks

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Thu Sep 9 13:50:26 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:09:55 -0800, "Dylan Schiemann" <mail at dylans.org>
said:
> So the
> question for me is, how far do we want to extend Dojo into this realm?
> Which server-side web app frameworks do we want to work with, and what do
> we need to do for each of our targets to "play nice" within their system?

I see two different integration models:
1) through a shared GUI markup language
2) through programmtic integration (the old fashioned way)

The first approach presumes that the customer/user adopts a
supported GUI markup language (some subset of
XAML/UIML/XUL/Flex/tapestry/etc.).
(Some of these markup languages are oriented around thick clients,
others around thin clients. There are numerous extant
demonstrations of a single markup language being able to
be rendered in multiple underlying gui toolkits:
swing and html, for example.
Almost all server-side frameworks
support some equivalent of a tag library for components,
which may be used for client-side implementations.)

For this approach 1, the Dojo team has to become familiar
with that markup language and its tooling,
to find a way to supply a new component library, or an
alternative rendering of an existing component library.
This might be done through a build time xslt
interconversion between the foreign markup and a native
dojo markup, for example.

For this strategy to be viable, I believe we have to
enable the customer/user to be able
to mix and match server-side and client-side component
implementations in a single application deployment --
not have to choose a pure client-side or pure server-side
"rendering", as most such approaches have required.

In approach 2, we don't have to know what server-side
framework they've chosen. They can do whatever they
please. But then they need to integrate it in the same
way any javascript library would be integrated into
that framework. In this case, the decision to use a
dhtml component or a server-side thin client component
is relatively hard-wired into their architecture.

-mda