[ng-dhtml] Promotion

Martin Cooper martinc at apache.org
Thu Sep 9 01:39:42 CDT 2004

I also don't think we're disagreeing, so I guess we must be agreeing about
something. This is good. ;-)

I'm going to interpret your comment about the "need to promote to
non-techs" as a need to positively influence PHBs. If that's not what you
mean, then ignore the following and feel free to elaborate.

I absolutely agree that what needs to be done to influence PHBs is very
different from what needs to be done to get developers to buy in. However,
I claim that if you can't get the developers to buy in, then it's a lost
cause with the PHBs. Therefore, in the initial stages of a project,
developer buy-in is much, much more important than PHB buy-in.

Further, I claim that, while you may increase developer buy-in via robust
nightly builds, pre-release downloads, etc, you will not, for the most
part, get PHB buy-in without some sort of "official" release. To a PHB, if
it's pre-1.0, it's clearly not ready for prime time.

So my suggestion, at this stage in the game, is to forget about trying to
influence PHBs or other non-developers, and focus on hooking in the
developers themselves. Once you have the developers hooked, and they start
telling you that they need a way to convince their PHBs that this is what
they need - *then* you can start thinking about how to target the PHBs.

Martin.