[ng-dhtml] Make or Ant?

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Fri Sep 3 13:09:33 CDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:00:34 -0700 (PDT), "Martin Cooper"
<martinc at apache.org> said:
> In my experience, there are too many 'make's out there, and they all work
> slightly differently, so unless you're willing to nail down a specific
> build environment, you're going to have a lot more work on
> your hands.

We would require gnu make. It behaves the same everywhere,
and it is available everywhere.

In my experience, Ant is buggy, slow, and limiting.
I find writing Ant rules about as enjoyable as
doing programming logic in xslt, which is to say,
not very. In my last paying gig, we ended up with
about 5000 lines of Ant files that could have
been done in a fraction in Make.
And no, the Ant files weren't any more understandable.

There were constant problems fighting classpath
and library issues; if you run your java command
in the Ant process, then you have to fight whatever
xml and other libraries it has; if you run your
java command out of process, then you have to
deal with its lumbering support for external
processes.

This was for a project written entirely in Java,
and I still hated Ant.

Besides Make, there are other Make replacements besides
whatever the johnny-come-lately Java folks have
coughed up. Scons and Jam come to mind, for example.

But that is just me.... I'm familiar with Ant, so it
isn't like it would affect me all that much if dojo
uses it; I would just have to pause to wipe the
blood of my keyboard every once in a while.

-mda