[ng-dhtml] Make or Ant?

Martin Cooper martinc at apache.org
Wed Sep 1 22:00:34 CDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Dylan Schiemann wrote:

> What do you think, make or ant for Dojo building and packaging?  I've never really used make so I don't know its benefits over Ant.  I've been learning/hacking on MDA's unit testing harness which uses make for generating a lot of things, so this seemed like a good time to discuss this.

I would (probably not surprisingly ;) recommend going with Ant. It's
portable across OSs, and you very rarely need to care which OS you're
building on. It's also very easy to extend by writing your own tasks,
and supports the use of Jelly, JavaScript and general BSF scripting.

In my experience, there are too many 'make's out there, and they all work
slightly differently, so unless you're willing to nail down a specific
build environment, you're going to have a lot more work on
your hands.

Another possibility is Maven. Think of it as Ant with a lot of typical
boilerplate stuff already built in, including the creation and deployment
of distributions and web sites. However, I have no clue how much of it
might be next to useless in the JavaScript world.

Martin.