[ng-dhtml] Promotion

Tom Trenka ng-dhtml at dept-z.com
Sun Aug 29 12:46:25 CDT 2004

Huh.  Nice to know your'e on the Struts team.  Now I know who to blame :D

I don't think either Joyce or I are disagreeing with you.  It's just that
that is a single approach to promotion; sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.  The entire "web design" community has been caught up in spreading,
by word of mouth/word of blog, the goal of accessibility and
standards-compliance, but the majority of the world still nests tables
first...

My basic point is that what you've mentioned is probably not enough,
especially when we're dealing in a medium that seems to have been declared
dead.  Sure, absolutely:  we need to interest developers in what we are
doing, and the mediums that you've mentioned are somewhat already in place
(i.e. this list).  I don't think we're talking about abandoning that line of
promotion at all.

But there is a difference when you also need to promote to non-techs, and
that's primarily where I'm going here.  A good looking web site--especially
when that is the only real promotional medium available--will go a long ways
towards generating respect, goodwill, et al in those who aren't interested
in the technical details; hell, it goes a long ways towards those who are.

Give you an example: Joyce and I are going back and forth right now on the
topic of Serendipity vs. WordPress.  She has a number of great
points--Serendipity supports everything I've asked for apparently (although
I'm still not sure), it's customizable, etc. etc.  Except I have a difficult
time accepting her word.  Why?  It's not that I don't trust Joyce, not at
all...I respect her work, and by extension, her word.  But going to the s9y
site for info and documentation does *not* help my confidence...and the
reason why is because it looks tossed-off, and after the fact.

Now if you go to the WordPress site, it's a different story.  I've got
organization, I've got a professional look, and without reading a line of
text I'm already leaning towards WordPress over Serendipity.  Why?  *Because
it looks like the WordPress guys care more about their product*.

It's not that we need one promotional approach over the other.  It's more
that we need to recognize all of our potential audience, and open up all the
promotional channels that we can.  That means the mailing list, that means
the collaborative blog that all of us use on a regular basis, that means
materials in market-ese to sell the "product" to management types who could
tell you the difference between strong typing and weak typing...it means
explaining to Joe Average User that in fact, you *can* use complex
applications without having to buy a propreitary software package.  It's PR,
pure and simple.

Anyways, enough for now.  I've been up since 5am, and the coffee's starting
to wear off :)
Tom