[ng-dhtml] blog software / requirements

Tom Trenka ng-dhtml at dept-z.com
Sat Aug 28 21:31:07 CDT 2004

Well...I was going to turn around and try to explain myself when you first
sent this one, but then you pretty much hit the nail on the head with one of
your other e-mails, Joyce, so for the most part you've already said what I
was thinking of saying :)

My basic model that I'm thinking of is Monologue, the collaborative blog
feed of the guys working on Mono.  I think that collectively, we've got more
than enough people here to be able to convince--over the long term--others
of the benefits of a unified browser-based toolkit, as well as keep a
potential audience up to date as to the progress of the toolkit's
development.  As well as informing all of the basic opinions leading to the
choice of working on this kit, and even perhaps persuading some of the
lurkers here (cough Dean and Simon cough) that it's something worth
pursuing.

As far as s9y, in some ways it does seem like it could work for us, but even
playing with it briefly points me at some of it's weaknesses (for instance,
the inability to access any of the categories you've created, Joyce), hence
the reason for the original post.  I don't expect to be taking over
infrastructure at all, but I do think I've been sort of designated as the
one doing the design...and I'd really prefer not to do it in a vacuum.  (I
can probably figure out how to make it do what I want it to do, but if
there's something out there that's a little closer to satisfying all of our
requirements...)

Martin, your points are taken.  I'll see what I can do.  But...Joyce is
right in this as far as Marketing 101 goes.  Our potential audience is not
just the developers who might use the toolkit, but (more importantly) the
people who make the decisions to use the toolkit in the first place.  In my
opinion, it's these people (i.e. management) who we have to convince first;
most developers who are interested in DHTML will (probably) take an interest
in what we're doing simply because of the nature of what we're doing.  The
goal is to keep those kinds of people informed while convincing "those who
can say yes" to adopt the kit in the first place.

And yes, participation (particularly with the blog) is a good start.  In the
very least it informs a potential audience as to who is participating;
hopefully it would be picked up in the "blogosphere" and begin to generate
its own interest.  Noticing Scott's ping on one of Joyce's posts, I would
hope that would be the case.

Tom