[ng-dhtml] blog software / requirements

Tom Trenka ng-dhtml at dept-z.com
Sat Aug 28 13:37:57 CDT 2004

> <snip/>
> > Other things.
> >
> > We've talked about this before, but I'm at a point where I
> seriously
> > need to know how we are going to organize the overall Dojo site, in
> > terms of major sections.  As it stands right now, I'm going
> with the following sections:
> >
> > 1. info
> > 2. blog
> > 3. wiki
> > 4. docs
> > 5. downloads
> >
> > I'm working it over so that it will be fairly easy to add or remove
> > one of these major sections; but it would very beneficial if we had
> > this decided on *now*.  So, am I missing anything, or do I need to
> > think of certain things in a different way?
>
> Well, "info" is a bit vague, so it's a little hard to know
> what you mean to include there. ;-) Here are a few other
> things to think about:
>
> * Mailing lists and archives
> * Bug database
> * Project news / status
> * License
> * External resources

Heh...it's a little hard to anticipate all of the future needs we'll have,
so "info" (aka about, etc.) is essentially the "catch-all" area.  To address
all of your list, here's what I was thinking in terms of placement:

-- Mailing lists and archives
Probably info.
-- bug database, license, external resources
Definitely info; if we want to add a "support" section, I would expect to
move the bug db and ext resources there, although that's up for discussion.

-- project news/status.
I would expect that the blog is the place for project news; it should be
simple to create a "Dojo" or "Project News" category and place that there.
Part of the reasoning behind the multiple category / accessible by all
requirement is to handle this exact thing.  I'd also expect that the blog is
probably going to be the most up-to-date and transient (i.e. constantly
updating/changing), so I think that's probably the one place everyone will
go first for news and information.

Status is something I'd like to keep fairly persistent; something on the
home page, probably also on the blog pages, downloads, and docs.  We'll see,
but I am expecting that there will be at least one to two short paragraphs
that would be consistently on every page of the site.  At least I'm trying
to plan the layouts with that in mind.

> (I'm mostly cribbing from the Struts home page, since we've
> tuned that over a period of years.)

Not a bad spot to draw influence from.

> Martin.

More opinions, anyone?