[ng-dhtml] Interesting article re: setting software pricing

Tom Trenka ng-dhtml at dept-z.com
Wed Aug 18 17:40:57 CDT 2004

...of course :)  Wasn't trying to imply that this is an in-depth analysis;
rather, I'd consider it to be a halfway decent starting point.

And your points are as accurate and well-taken as ever ;)

TRT

092868340/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2398678-2406357?>
v=glance&s=books&n=507846 , but with a good emphasis on
> strategic pricing implications in the software industry.
>
> His points about open source make sense: most businesses
> don't make a lot of money by giving away their core products
> for free.  But the business models of leveraging open source
> software are a lot more complex than his discussion of the
> topic, meaning that it isn't really just about whether to
> give a product away for free or not.
>
> Dojo is a great example of this... most of us involved in
> this project want what developers in other languages take for
> granted... a standard framework for building applications.
> This doesn't mean we all want to develop a bunch of
> applications that we're going to give away to the world for
> free just because.  What it means is that we're looking to
> have that standard open architecture that the world has yet
> to give us.

en-us/dnsoftware/html/software08052004.asp