[ng-dhtml] Interesting article re: setting software pricing

Dylan Schiemann mail at dylans.org
Wed Aug 18 17:08:17 CDT 2004

The article reminds me a lot of the book Strategy and Tactics of Pricing, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/013026248X/qid=1092868340/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2398678-2406357?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 , but with a good emphasis on strategic pricing implications in the software industry.

His points about open source make sense: most businesses don't make a lot of money by giving away their core products for free.  But the business models of leveraging open source software are a lot more complex than his discussion of the topic, meaning that it isn't really just about whether to give a product away for free or not.

Dojo is a great example of this... most of us involved in this project want what developers in other languages take for granted... a standard framework for building applications.  This doesn't mean we all want to develop a bunch of applications that we're going to give away to the world for free just because.  What it means is that we're looking to have that standard open architecture that the world has yet to give us.